This week had come great book deals. Those still available include: Thomas Manton: A Guided Tour of His Thought and Life ($5.99); God’s Promises, God’s Names, and God’s Providence kids devotionals by Sally Michael (3 for $24.99). There were also several Kindle deals: Love or Die by Alexander Strauch ($3.99); God on Sex by Daniel Akin ($2.99) The Conviction to Lead by Albert Mohler ($4.39); and An Infinite Journey is Andrew Davis ($4.99). Also, five volumes of Crossway’s Preaching the Word commentary series are on sale for Kindle: Galatians ($2.99); Ephesians ($2.99); Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon ($2.99); 1-2 Timothy and Titus ($2.99); and 2 Corinthians ($2.99).
Somewhere between culture and apologetics comes this week’s story that contradicts the Bible’s depiction of camels. This may seem like a small thing, but if the Bible is unreliable as a historically accurate document, then all of it’s theology is unreliable as well. The evidence Christianity Today rounded up to show that the Bible is right was nicely summarized by Justin Taylor. Andy Naselli helped us think through whether or not Christians should use birth control by post a list of resources.
This week in the areas of Christian life, ministry, and theology, Kevin DeYoung offered a clarification on a recent sermon which asked this somewhat controversial question: does the Bible show that human forgiveness is conditional or unconditional? Mez McConnell answered the question, “How do we reach the poor with the Gospel?” David Murray and Heath Lambert had a conversation on the integration of secular psychology and biblical counseling. Joel Beeke’s explanation of the Purtian’s View of Sex in Marriage was summarized by Nathan Bingham. Finally, Jon Bloom offered some good thoughts on Valentine’s Day from a Christian perspective.
The biggest resources posted this week is the full list of media resources from the recent Desiring God Pastor’s Conference. The theme was “The Pastor, the Vine, and the Branches: The Remarkable Beauty of Union with Christ.” Here are the links to the audio and video:
- Glorifying God by Bearing Fruit in Union with Christ by John Piper
- Union with Christ: Mind-Renewing Foundations by Sinclair Ferguson
- Calvin on Union with Christ by Michael Horton
- Union with Christ: Life-Transforming Implications by Sinclair Ferguson
- Union with Christ and the Communion of Saints by Michael Horton
- The Ministry of Hudson Taylor As Life in Christ by John Piper
- Panel Discussion by John Piper, Michael Horton, Sinclair Ferguson, David Mathis
- Preaching the Gospel to Yourself by Paul Tripp
- Living the Gospel That You Preach by Paul Tripp
- The Promise in Pastoral Weakness by Jared Wilson
- Pastoring Your Wife and Kids by Rick Gamache
- The Pastor’s Purity and Pleasure by Kempton Turner
- How to Stay Christian in Seminary—And Any Season of Waiting by David Mathis and Jonathan Parnell
- Best Lessons from a Lifetime of Pastoring by Sinclair Ferguson
- Calvin and His Ailments: Pastoral Productivity in the Midst of Pain by Michael Horton
- The Pastor As Lead Affirmer by Sam Crabtree
- How in the World Do People Change Anyway? by Paul Tripp
- Shepherds, Listen Well by Jared Wilson
- The Old Testament in Ten Minutes by Jason DeRouchie
- The New Testament in Ten Minutes by Andy Naselli