What is “biblical counseling”? One church explains that: “Biblical counseling seeks to explore the wisdom and depth of the Bible and apply its grace-centered message to the problems of daily living. Biblical counseling is not just for the professionals, but can be applied by every Christian in everything from a casual conversation to plumbing the deep matters of the heart.” I agree, and I think what we need are more helpful resources for pastors alongside all of God’s people to learn how to not simply “shoot from the hip” when offering advice to people, but bring clear, biblical counsel that will change lives by pointing people to God.
Much to my delight, such a resource came on my radar recently. Redeemer Church of Dubai asked Deepak Reju (Associate Pastor at Capitol Hill Baptist Church) and Klon Kitchen (an elder, also at Capitol Hill) to lead the church through a five day biblical counseling intensive. Here the basic principles of biblical counseling were laid out alongside case studies to show how to apply the principles in real life.
Listed below are links to the recordings from these five day. You can also download the handout notes. And if you’re going to listen in iTunes or another device that displays album covers, you can grab one here.
- Part 1 – Intro to biblical counseling [mp3]
- Part 2 – Matters of the heart [mp3]
- Part 3 – Case Study (Marital Conflict) [mp3]
- Part 1 – Love: Building Redemptive Relationships (part 1) [mp3]
- Part 2 – Love: Building Redemptive Relationships (part 2) [mp3]
- Part 3 – Case Study (Internet Pornography Addiction) [mp3]
- Part 1 – Know: Discovering Where Change is Needed (part 1) [mp3]
- Part 2 – Know: Discovering Where Change is Needed (part 2) [mp3]
- Part 1 – Speak: Biblical Confrontation [mp3]
- Part 2 – Speak: Speaking the Truth in Love [mp3]
- Part 3 – Case study (Worry, Anxiety and Stress) [mp3]